Do you enjoy comfort food? Looking for a warm, comforting meal on a cold, rainy day? Then this Beef Cubes in Sherry over egg noodles recipe is the perfect choice. I was not a big meat eater back then (still not so much) but that gravy over the egg noodles alone is amazing. Putting it in the crock pot makes this meal even more appealing. It has been cooking all day and it is cold, rainy, and thundering out and this stew-like meal is going to be perfect.
The stove is the shrine where I convene with my ancestors-Unknown
With the price of groceries lately, this is a very economical meal. The stew beef has been very expensive lately, so I bought a London Broil steak that was on sale and it worked wonderfully. You need to be flexible these days. You can also use the store-bought Cooking Sherry instead of the original alcoholic version and it will still be wonderful. Leftovers the next day are just as excellent. With cold weather coming, comfort food is on the menu everyday if I have anything to say about it.
This was one of my late mother’s favorite meals to make and she made this all the time when I was a child. I’ve been thinking about her today, so off to the store I went. Because if you know me, you know that food is memories for me. I get emotional eating a meal that someone I love has made for me. I will leave these recipes here for my daughters and hopefully, they will make them someday for the people they love and think of me and those that came before me.
This recipe would be great over rice or mashed potatoes. It can also be made gluten free, if you buy the gluten free option of the soup. The key is to cook it low and slow for a long time. So the crock pot is perfect for this, but a Dutch oven would work also.
Beef Cubes in Sherry
- 2 tbsp. Shortening I suppose butter, avocado oil or canola oil would work fine also.
- 2 lbs. Stew Beef Cubed
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 cup Sherry Wine Cooking version (non-alcoholic) will work here also.
- 1 15oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 8 oz. Package of white mushrooms sliced
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 lb. Bag of Egg Noodles Prepared
- Heat shortening in a heavy pot or frying pan if you are using a crock pot.
- Brown the beef cubes on all sides.
- This is where you can transfer to the crock pot or leave in the a heavy pot.
- Add remaining ingredients in order given and stir well. Cover pot and simmer mixture for at least an hour.
- Alternative: Add to crockpot and heat on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve over egg noodles.