Looking for the Best Beef Stew Recipe? This is it and I stand by that assertion. Any comfort food recipe that all my children will eat is a win. It is a great comfort food recipe on a cool, fall day. My kid’s Aunt Pam is a great cook and you will see a lot of her recipes here. This one, I believe was handed down from her Portuguese grandmother who we all adored. I wish I had Pam’s talent. She is fearless and will try anything. I am not so brave, but I will gladly copy her tried and true recipes and allow her to have all the glory.
What I really like about this recipe is it is different from the traditional that I always thought of as a kid. The mushrooms and garlic with the red sauce (Hunts Tomato Sauce) really elevate it to another level. I know that I said just a few cloves of garlic in here but I have to say I add a lot more. The slow cooking mellows it out and it is wonderful. The addition of the turnips was always interesting to me also. I have never been a huge fan and the original recipe called for a large one and I left it out once and it was not the same. After that mistake, I now add a small turnip and it is perfect!
Crusty bread or garlic bread is a must with this recipe! You will regret it if you leave it out… Trust me.
The people who give your their food give you their heartCesar Chavez
The Best Beef Stew Recipe
- 5 lbs Sirloin Tips Can use stew beef, leftover roast beef,
- 1 10oz Package white mushrooms or baby bellas Sliced
- 1 tbsp. Flour
- 1 cup Water
- 1 24 oz Hunt's Tomato Sauce The large can
- 1 Turnip Original says small, I prefer one small
- 5 Potatoes Peeled and cubed
- 6 Carrots Peeled and chopped
- 2 Cloves or garlic Diced – I tend to add a lot more
- In a large heavy pot, I use a Dutch Oven.
- Brown the sirloin tips. When brown add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- This is when you would add to the crock pot if you want.
- Add flour and mix well. (If gluten-free use corn starch here)
- Pour the water over the beef mixture.
- Add the can of tomato sauce potatoes, carrots and turnips.
- Let simmer for a few hours and serve with a great garlic bread.