This Pasta Carbonara Recipe has been a staple in our house for years. It is such a great comfort food recipe and is very easy to make once mastered. Basically, it’s a simple bacon and egg pasta that never fails to impress. Paired with a nice glass of wine it is the ultimate pasta dish for a romantic night of watching TV, dinner with friends, or a midweek meal with the family.
Life is a combination of Magic and PastaFederico Fellini
When the recipe card is as old and worn as this one, you know it’s good. Not even sure where I got the recipe, but it is a staple in this house. At my bridal shower, oh so many years ago, the guests all brought me a recipe, it might be from there. This is the ultimate pantry meal.
I split this recipe in two and make half with regular pasta and half with gluten free to accommodate my whole family. It is great both ways!
Tempering the eggs with a little pasta water so they do not scramble is essential so as to not ruin the whole dish. I have also used other pasta styles. I have found Rotini is a hit and even ziti, but I prefer the traditional spaghetti. This Pasta Carbonara meal is the perfect pantry meal and a great go to meal in a pinch. I love the fact that is is so allergy friendly and easy to do.
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 lb. Spaghetti cooked regular or gluten free
- 1/3 lb. Bacon cut into small pieces (Pancetta or Guanciale is used also)
- 4 cloves Garlic diced small
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes I tend to use more.
- 1/2 cup White wine or Chicken Stock
- 2 large Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup Reserved pasta water
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Handful of chopped fresh parsley 1 tsp. of dried parsley would substitute
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook Pasta Al Dente. Reserve a cup of the pasta water in case needed for sauce
- In large skillet over medium high heat. Saute bacon until it browns. Remove bacon and put aside. Drain the bacon oil and then add two tbsp. olive oil, garlic and red pepper. Saute two minutes. Add wine and reduce by half.
- Beat eggs vigorously and stir in a ladle of pasta water. Drain the pasta and to bacon pan and remove from heat. Add egg mixture, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper and toss until well combined and cheese has melted. Serve with extra cheese.
Allergy Information: Contains Dairy, Egg, Wheat (can make gluten free). Nut free, peanut free, shellfish free.