This easy and allergy friendly recipe never fails to impress. Especially on Super Bowl Sunday!
- 1 Onion Large, chopped
- 1 Green bell pepper Chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves Chopped fine
- 1 15 oz. can Diced Tomatoes No salt, undrained
- 1.5 cups Smoked Sausage Fully cooked and chopped (Andouille or Chorizo)
- ½ tsp. Dried Thyme Flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley Or 1/2 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- ¼ tsp. Hot Sauce (red pepper based) Or more if you like it
- 1 lb. Shrimp Uncooked, peeled, non-frozen and de-veined
Saute the sausage in a large cast iron skillet or heavy pot on medium heat. Once browned remove the sausage and set aside. Add the onions, peppers and celery to the pot, saute for 2 minutes and add garlic. Saute for another minute. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the shrimp. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until pink and curled up.
(Even works great in the crock pot, just throw everything in and cook on low for 4-6 hours and add the shrimp in cook for another 20 minutes). Additions: Can substitute chicken for shrimp if you want. OkraAllergy information: Contains Shrimp. Nut Free, Peanut Free (depending on the sausage you use, so double check), egg free and dairy free.
Serve over white rice with a side of corn bread.